at Port Discovery for a Limited Time
Featured Exhibits at Port Discovery Children's Museum
Go on an interactive adventure with the super silly and educational exhibit, The Adventures of MR. POTATO HEAD® exhibit, through January 1, 2019. Plus, see what bigger, bolder, better - and even more fun - exhibits and experiences are coming to the Museum in spring 2019.
IMPORTANT: Starting on January 2, 2019, Port Discovery will begin construction of two immersive, state-of-the-art new exhibits: a four-story SkyClimber and a massive Port Exhibit featuring all the parts of the working port. Find information on construction plans, ways to play while construction is underway, answers to frequently asked questions, and more at www.PortDiscovery.org/Construction.
Have an out-of-this world, silly adventure with The Adventures of MR. POTATO HEAD® exhibit now open at Port Discovery. Crawl through a jungle cave, dig for treasure, go scuba diving, and command a space station as you think about all you can be and do! Explore areas including:
- WELCOME! – The fun begins with an awe-inspiring collection of MR. POTATO HEAD® parts and accessories as well as an anthology to depict the character’s wild adventures.
- SPACE S.P.U.D. (Space Potatoes United for Discovery) : Join Commander MR. POTATO HEAD® aboard the S.P.U.D. space station! Learn about repair and maintenance to the station. Check out the commander’s chair, use the intergalactic translator, explore the galaxy and conduct experiments at the isolation glove box!
- SPUD QUEST: Go on an archeological dig in search of the statue of King Tato. Solve mazes, decipher “tatoglyphs” and use special maps to explore the treasure chamber.
- SPUD OVERBOARD: Go on an underwater adventure with ocean explorer Jacques Coustato! Build fanciful reefs, meet a friendly octopus and wise clam, and enjoy simulated snorkeling adventures!
- SPUD SAFARI: Enjoy a pretend mudslide, search for mysterious objects inside a cave, and use your senses to identify sounds and creatures.
Admission to the exhibit is included with entry to Port Discovery, which is $15.95 per person for individuals two and older. Members and children under two enter for free. For more information, visit www.PortDiscovery.org.
The Adventures of MR. POTATO HEAD® exhibit was created by the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum in collaboration with Hasbro. MR. POTATO HEAD® is a registered trademark of Hasbro, Inc. and is used with permission. © 2018 Hasbro. All rights reserved. The national exhibit tour is sponsored by the Northwestern Mutual Foundation, with additional support provided by Debra Altshul-Stark and Brian Stark, and the Greater Milwaukee Foundation. Sponsored locally by M&T Bank.
Explore new exhibits slated to open at Port Discovery Children’s Museum in the Museum’s newly opened Previews, Pop-Ups and Prototypes space. Open on weekdays from 2-4PM and all day on weekends, this exhibit features looks at three new permanent exhibits currently in development for the Museum:
- Port Exhibit: Load containers onto a cargo ship! Find out what can happen when containers fall off a ship in the fun and interactive Ducks Overboard! activity! This fun preview will give you a sneak peek of what it will be like when children can role play as a ship’s captain, sailor, navigator and merchant, explore the seas, and much more!
- SkyClimber Exhibit: Load balls into air-filled tubes and see how they – like kids – can go up….and then make their way back down! You’ll also get a chance to come up with imaginative names for our new, interactive and more visitor-friendly climber, which will replace KidWorks.
- Space Exhibit: See a prototype of a future space-themed exhibit planned for Port Discovery! Draw on a mural-sized landscape, design a satellite, and get excited about what’s to come in future phases of Port Discovery’s Capital Campaign.
New Exhibits Coming Soon
Exciting changes are coming to Port Discovery! We’re raising funds to bring our members, visitors and future generations bold new exhibits, improved guest amenities and expanded programs that will continue to inspire children to dream big, imagine and learn through play. New exhibits and improvements planned include:
A new signature exhibit: The Port
Become the captain of an imaginative adventure on a massive ship! Role-play as the ship’s captain, sailors, navigators and engineers as you explore the seas, discover how products make their way around the world, and work together to move, stack and explore what’s inside shipping containers. Operate a gentry crane, learn how to navigate a boat, and more! Plus, learn about the Port of Baltimore – and the many jobs and products that make up one of the world’s most active ports! Planned opening: 2019.
This project has been financed (in part) with Federal funds from the National Maritime Heritage program, administered by the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. However, the contents and opinions contained herein do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Department of the Interior, nor does the mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Department of the Interior.
This program received Federal financial assistance for preservation of historic maritime resources and for increasing public awareness and appreciation for the maritime heritage of the United States. Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, the U.S. Department of the Interior prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability or age in its federally funded assisted programs. If you believe you have been discriminated again in any program, activity, or facility as described above, or if you desire further information, please writeto: Office of Equal Opportunity National Park Service 1849 C Street, NW Washington, DC 20240
A new four-story Skyclimber:
Soar to new heights as you try to reach the clouds! Dare to dream – and test your courage – as you get climb your way up and around a four-story SkyClimber that takes you from "underwater” up “into the clouds.” As you climb and reach new heights, you’ll build confidence and problem-solving skills while having fun with new friends. You’ll even trigger sound effects from Mother Nature as you climb high above Port Discovery and reach for the stars. Toddlers can get in on the action, too, with a soft play area on the ground level. The SkyClimber will replace Port Discovery’s current KidWorks exhibit.
Exhibits Open While Port Discovery is Under Construction
Opening mid-January, 2019 | Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays | Fridays: 10 AM – 4 PM, Saturdays: 10 AM – 5 PM, Sundays: Noon – 5 PM
Admission is free for members. Visitors enter for $5 per person. Free for children under two.
Join Port Discovery for a limited time, one-of-a-kind experience at The Construction Zone in the Atrium at Port Discovery, sponsored by M&T Bank!
Design and create a mini-robot, use a kid-favorite – giant cardboard boxes – to build a creation straight from your imagination, launch rockets towards the moon, create your own play, and more in The Construction Zone!
- Design! Can a robot make real art? Find out when you design and build a mini-robot in the Prototype & Play area. Be an architect as you draft and draw plans for a new playground, building, and more with spirographs and lightboxes. Build and draw at building and art stations.
- Build! It’s a box...it’s a plane...it’s a castle! When you add imagination to giant boxes, there’s no limit to what you can create. As you build, dress up using hats, goggles, puppets, and more – and work together to create a scene straight out of your dreams.
- Launch! 3...2...1...Blastoff! Launch a rocket towards a mini-moon and explore how physics helps things fly (and land). Plus, learn about space in a hands-on Sun, Earth, Universe mini-exhibit.
- Act! Take 10! Dress up, dance, sing, act – and take center stage in the Black Box Theater! Plus enjoy interactive theater performances including puppets, silly scientists, singers, dancers and other family-friendly performers.
- Be a kid! Jump around and play games in our Game Zone. Crawl and toddle around The Oasis. Enjoy drop-in performances and programs that are playful and educational.
The Construction Zone will be open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays starting in mid-January 2019. Members and children under two will enter for free. Admission will be f$5 per person for general admission visitors. The Construction Zone is located in the Atrium at Port Discovery Children’s Museum (directly next door to the main Museum). Hours of operation will be announced on a monthly basis.
The Construction Zone is sponsored by M&T Bank.
Opening Late January 2019 | Wednesdays – Sundays
Wednesdays: 10 AM – 5 PM, Thursdays: 10 AM – 8 PM, Fridays: 10 AM – 8 PM, Saturdays: 10 AM – 5 PM, Sundays: Noon – 5 PM.
Admission is free for all visitors and Port Discovery members.
Spark your child’s imagination as you play and learn together at Port Discovery’s Pop-Up Play Space! Located at The Shops at Kenilworth, the Pop-Up Play Space features fun and educational drop-in programs for infants and toddlers, messy art (think paint!), and fun, hands-on building activities that also preview the exiting new exhibits to come at Port Discovery Children’s Museum.
Port Discovery’s Pop-Up Play Space at The Shops at Kenilworth will be open Wednesdays through Sundays. Hours will be announced monthly. Admission will be free for all visitors. For more information, visit www.PortDiscovery.org
Programs and exhibits at Port Discovery are made possible in part by the Citizens of Baltimore County and by the Howard County Arts Council through a grant from Howard County Government.