at Port Discovery for a Limited Time
Featured Exhibits at Port Discovery Children's Museum
Port Discovery is currently featuring a new temporary exhibit, Dinosaurs: Land of Fire and Ice™, through September 9, 2018.
Opening at Port Discovery on Saturday, May 26, 2018! Travel back in time to when dinosaurs last roamed the land at Port Discovery Children’s Museum! In this fascinating exhibit, you’ll encounter unfamiliar landscapes and touchable dinosaurs of all shapes and sizes including a Tyrannosaurus Rex and Triceratops. Plus, build science skills as you investigate clues about what the dinosaurs left behind!
Activities & exhibit areas include:
- Explore the Field Research Station, where children can pretend to be a paleontologist by uncovering fossils with brushes and by creating drawings using fossil rubbings and tracings.
- Adventure through the Land of Fire, where you’ll explore the prehistoric home of the Triceratops and T-Rex. Circle the land in insect costumes, explore a volcano with oozing lava, and make your way through a swampy bog while identifying animals and plants!
- Take a trip across the Land of Ice (no coats needed!), where visitors meet two dinosaurs, a Troodon and Edmontosaurus, who made their homes in the cold climate of Alaska. Plus, explore rocky steps and icy slides from the cold climate of Alaska!
Explore Dinosaurs: Land of Fire & Ice™ at Port Discovery Children’s Museum beginning May 26 through September 9, 2018.
Dinosaurs: Land of Fire and Ice was created by Minnesota Children's Museum and is sponsored nationally by The David B. Jones Foundation and sponsored locally by M&T Bank.
Explore new exhibits slated to open at Port Discovery Children’s Museum in the Museum’s newly opened Previews, Pop-Ups and Prototypes space. Open on weekdays from 2-4PM and all day on weekends, this exhibit features looks at three new permanent exhibits currently in development for the Museum:
- Port Exhibit: Load containers onto a cargo ship! Find out what can happen when containers fall off a ship in the fun and interactive Ducks Overboard! activity! This fun preview will give you a sneak peek of what it will be like when children can role play as a ship’s captain, sailor, navigator and merchant, explore the seas, and much more!
- SkyClimber Exhibit: Load balls into air-filled tubes and see how they – like kids – can go up….and then make their way back down! You’ll also get a chance to come up with imaginative names for our new, interactive and more visitor-friendly climber, which will replace KidWorks.
- Space Exhibit: See a prototype of a future space-themed exhibit planned for Port Discovery! Draw on a mural-sized landscape, design a satellite, and get excited about what’s to come in future phases of Port Discovery’s Capital Campaign.
Exhibits Coming Soon
More information coming soon!
Exciting changes are coming to Port Discovery! We’re raising funds to bring our members, visitors and future generations bold new exhibits, improved guest amenities and expanded programs that will continue to inspire children to dream big, imagine and learn through play. New exhibits and improvements planned include:
A new signature exhibit: The Port
Featuring an interactive three-story ship where children can role-play as the ship’s captain, sailors, navigators and engineers, this playful exhibit will encourage children to explore the seas, discovery how products get here from around the world, and learn math, science, social and problem solving skills!
This exhibit pays tribute to the industry that has anchored our city’s economy for 300 years, and will be dominated by a massive ship’s prowl that will form a terrific, unforgettable play structure! Planned opening: 2019.
A new four-story Skyclimber:
Get active, use problem-solving skills and take risks in a safe environment on our new SkyClimber! Children will ascend from “underwater” up “into the clouds” on a series of platforms inside seamless netting that arcs around the Port. Toddlers can get in on the action, too, with a soft play area on the ground level. The SkyClimber will replace Port Discovery’s current KidWorks exhibit. Planned opening: 2019.