at Port Discovery for a Limited Time
Featured Exhibits at Port Discovery Children's Museum
Port Discovery is currently featuring it's largest temporary exhibit, The Adventures of MR. POTATO HEAD® exhibit, through end of year 2018.
Have an out-of-this world, silly adventure with The Adventures of MR. POTATO HEAD® exhibit now open at Port Discovery. Crawl through a jungle cave, dig for treasure, go scuba diving, and command a space station as you think about all you can be and do! Explore areas including:
- WELCOME! – The fun begins with an awe-inspiring collection of MR. POTATO HEAD® parts and accessories as well as an anthology to depict the character’s wild adventures.
- SPACE S.P.U.D. (Space Potatoes United for Discovery) : Join Commander MR. POTATO HEAD® aboard the S.P.U.D. space station! Learn about repair and maintenance to the station. Check out the commander’s chair, use the intergalactic translator, explore the galaxy and conduct experiments at the isolation glove box!
- SPUD QUEST: Go on an archeological dig in search of the statue of King Tato. Solve mazes, decipher “tatoglyphs” and use special maps to explore the treasure chamber.
- SPUD OVERBOARD: Go on an underwater adventure with ocean explorer Jacques Coustato! Build fanciful reefs, meet a friendly octopus and wise clam, and enjoy simulated snorkeling adventures!
- SPUD SAFARI: Enjoy a pretend mudslide, search for mysterious objects inside a cave, and use your senses to identify sounds and creatures.
Admission to the exhibit is included with entry to Port Discovery, which is $15.95 per person for individuals two and older. Members and children under two enter for free. For more information, visit www.PortDiscovery.org.
The Adventures of MR. POTATO HEAD® exhibit was created by the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum in collaboration with Hasbro. MR. POTATO HEAD® is a registered trademark of Hasbro, Inc. and is used with permission. © 2018 Hasbro. All rights reserved. The national exhibit tour is sponsored by the Northwestern Mutual Foundation, with additional support provided by Debra Altshul-Stark and Brian Stark, and the Greater Milwaukee Foundation. Sponsored locally by M&T Bank.
Explore new exhibits slated to open at Port Discovery Children’s Museum in the Museum’s newly opened Previews, Pop-Ups and Prototypes space. Open on weekdays from 2-4PM and all day on weekends, this exhibit features looks at three new permanent exhibits currently in development for the Museum:
- Port Exhibit: Load containers onto a cargo ship! Find out what can happen when containers fall off a ship in the fun and interactive Ducks Overboard! activity! This fun preview will give you a sneak peek of what it will be like when children can role play as a ship’s captain, sailor, navigator and merchant, explore the seas, and much more!
- SkyClimber Exhibit: Load balls into air-filled tubes and see how they – like kids – can go up….and then make their way back down! You’ll also get a chance to come up with imaginative names for our new, interactive and more visitor-friendly climber, which will replace KidWorks.
- Space Exhibit: See a prototype of a future space-themed exhibit planned for Port Discovery! Draw on a mural-sized landscape, design a satellite, and get excited about what’s to come in future phases of Port Discovery’s Capital Campaign.
Exhibits Coming Soon
Exciting changes are coming to Port Discovery! We’re raising funds to bring our members, visitors and future generations bold new exhibits, improved guest amenities and expanded programs that will continue to inspire children to dream big, imagine and learn through play. New exhibits and improvements planned include:
A new signature exhibit: The Port
Featuring an interactive three-story ship where children can role-play as the ship’s captain, sailors, navigators and engineers, this playful exhibit will encourage children to explore the seas, discovery how products get here from around the world, and learn math, science, social and problem solving skills!
This exhibit pays tribute to the industry that has anchored our city’s economy for 300 years, and will be dominated by a massive ship’s prowl that will form a terrific, unforgettable play structure! Planned opening: 2019.
A new four-story Skyclimber:
Get active, use problem-solving skills and take risks in a safe environment on our new SkyClimber! Children will ascend from “underwater” up “into the clouds” on a series of platforms inside seamless netting that arcs around the Port. Toddlers can get in on the action, too, with a soft play area on the ground level. The SkyClimber will replace Port Discovery’s current KidWorks exhibit. Planned opening: 2019.
This project has been financed (in part) with Federal funds from the National Maritime Heritage program, administered by the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. However, the contents and opinions contained herein do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Department of the Interior, nor does the mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Department of the Interior.
This program received Federal financial assistance for preservation of historic maritime resources and for increasing public awareness and appreciation for the maritime heritage of the United States. Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, the U.S. Department of the Interior prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability or age in its federally funded assisted programs. If you believe you have been discriminated again in any program, activity, or facility as described above, or if you desire further information, please writeto: Office of Equal Opportunity National Park Service 1849 C Street, NW Washington, DC 20240
Programs and exhibits at Port Discovery are made possible in part by the Citizens of Baltimore County and by the Howard County Arts Council through a grant from Howard County Government.