Here We Grow
Here We Grow!
Here We Grow! introduces children and their caregivers to farm processes, products and people through the themes of science and technology, history, local ecology, global economics and art.
Through words, ideas, sounds and interactive elements the exhibit will help visitors develop an appreciation for the importance of agriculture in their everyday lives and teach concepts of agricultural conservation and sustainability
What You'll Do:
- Explore The greenhouse which feature four components, each representing one season of the year.
- Visitors will be able to build tools and learn about the importance of tool development in farming.
- Sort eggs using various tests including sound, sight and color.
- Diagnose a horse and participate in several other interactive components.
- Test your cow milking skills against a machine to determine which method is more efficient
- and more!
What You'll Learn:
- Learn about real Maryland farmers through interactive video. The farmers explain how they make their living in Maryland from the land.
- Learn facts about the history of agriculture production compared to today. The Silo Library will feature a quiet reading space with children’s books.
- Learn about Maryland’s famers markets as well as urban farming.
- Test your cow milking skills against a machine to determine which method is more efficient.
- Learn about farm production in Maryland and its impact on the world through global shipping.
- Ask your little one open ended questions
The Here We Grow! exhibit was developed by Port Discovery with funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services under grant award number MA-10-13-0567-13, the Maryland Grain Producers Utilization Board, the Wright Family Foundation, the Maryland Soybean Board, the Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation, and other generous agricultural partners. Additional funding for Here We Grow travel has been provided by the Maryland Soybean Board, Mid-Atlantic Dairy Association, Allied Milk Producers, and Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation, Inc.