Looking forward to fall weather, family time and (hello!) routines again?! We hear you! And, we’re thrilled to share what’s coming up at Port Discovery for visitors and members this fall, including updated hours for play this September!
Here’s a list of 20 things to look forward to this fall at Port Discovery!
- More opportunities for play and learning! We’re adding more hours for fun, play and learning this September. Starting on Monday, September 3rd, join us on Thursdays & Fridays from 10 AM – 4 PM, Saturdays from 10 AM – 5 PM, and Sundays from Noon – 5 PM for purposeful play and learning.
- Explore The Port exhibit! Become an engineer in the engine room. Stack and move cargo using the gantry cranes. Navigate your way through interantional ports and more! Explore The Port - one of Port Discovery's newest exhibits paying homage to the Port of Baltimore.
- Climb to new heights on The SkyClimber! Build confidence as you climb up, up and away on the four-story SkyClimber! hildren (and kids at heart) will be inspired to dream and to test their courage as they climb their way up and around the four-story SkyClimber up into the clouds. Then either slide down an ultra-fun (and ultra-swirly!) four-story slide, or climb down towards the ground. Remember: Socks (but not shoes!) are required to climb. We'll provide them to borrow or to buy, and you're more than welcome to use your own.
- Explore screenprinting in the Studio Workshop! Visit our BGE Studio Workshop and take part in Messy Art, Clay Play and other art activities that encourage children to use their imagination and experiment as they learn about art. Practice painting, printmaking, clay sculpting and more in this fun and interactive studio program, offered daily.
- Take part in the B'More Build-a-Thon! Join Port Discovery Children's Museum as we take part in the Global Cardboard Challenge to celebrate imagination, creativity and the city of Baltimore! Let your creativity and Baltimore City pride shine during this month-long activity.
- Have fun while you and your little learn early literacy skills in our popular drop-in program Mother Goose on the Loose®. Reciting nursery rhymes with puppets, flannel board characters, book illustrations, songs, and musical instruments in this joyful setting helps children develop early literacy skills through play.
- Explore Chessie's Grotto with your little learner! Enjoy a toddler-sized adventure in this Under the Chesapeake Bay themed soft play area featuring none other then Chessie, the Chesapeake Bay Sea Monster. Explore textures and tactile experiences along the length of Chessie’s tale. Read books about the ocean and sea creatures. Enjoy a whimsical, sensory-filled underwater experience created by bubble tubes and a kelp forest.
- Make music together as you explore our Percussion Garden! Make music with flip flops. Play music on tubes and clouds. Children are encouraged to play on (or with!) a wide variety of percussion instruments in this hands-on percussion garden. Through play, children learn about the amazing sounds that can be produced and the different techniques for producing these sounds.
- Explore Babywearing with Patuxent Babywearing! Babywearing 101 with Patuxent Babywearing will take place on Sunday, September 22nd. Join us for a parent workshop to learn how babywearing can be a safe and convenient way to carry your child! In addition to keeping your hands free, babywearing has been found to aid in a baby’s development, strengthen bond between parent and baby, and decrease the risk of SIDS and flat-head syndrome.
- Help Port Discovery celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month!
- Enjoy time with your infant, toddler, Pre-K or Kindergarten student! Enjoy a variety of drop-in programs perfect for children six and under most every day the Museum is open. And on Wednesdays, we limit the ages of groups that we welcome to the Museum so that our youngest visitors can have a day to themselves!
- Explore Here We Grow! at Port Discovery! Here We Grow will introduce children and their caregivers to farm processes, products and people through the themes of science and technology, history, local ecology, global economics and art. Through words, ideas, sounds and interactive elements the exhibit will help visitors develop an appreciation for the importance of agriculture in their everyday lives and teach concepts of agricultural conservation and sustainability.
- Explore music and movement through play, laughter and lots of fun during Tiny Tots Music Time! This lively interactive music experience (formerly known as Jingle Jangle Music Time) teaches infants and young toddlers basic rhythm through singing, clapping, and shaking shakers
- Bring your little ones to Port Discovery's interactive Circle Time with a changing variety of songs, stories, and fun! Watch your child's imagination come to life as they get involved in the story and dance and sing along! Plus explore three floors of interactive, hands-on exhibits designed to teach children through play during your visit.
- Fill your Sunday with fun, learning, and adventure! Port Discovery is open from Noon to 5 PM each and every Sunday, and tends to be an opportunity to enjoy the Museum with less of a crowd. In addition to exploring three floors of hands-on exhibits, you can take part in fun and educational drop-in programs like Mother Goose on the Loose®, Circle Time, and more! Be sure to check out our event calendar to find out what programs are taking place when you’d like to visit as our Sunday schedule varies weekly.
- Have a spooky and fun good time at Halloween at Baltimore’s ultimate Halloween party for kids and families during Port Discovery's Halloween Festivities! Put your imagination to work as you dress as your favorite character – and join in fun, interactive and mischievous fun celebrating Frankenstein through science activities that will put a spark in your Halloween fun!
- Learn about the traditions and heritage of local Native American tribes throughout Native American Heritage Weekend! Join us for Native American Indian Heritage Day and throughout the Thanksgiving weekend to learn about Native American Heritage through hands-on demonstrations, performances and activities. This weekend will be full of interesting, fun and unique opportunities to celebrate and learn about Native American Heritage and make lasting traditions with your family and friends.
- Celebrate a birthday! Did you know that Port Discovery offers a variety of birthday party packages featuring popular themes to help celebrate your child’s big day? Enjoy an easy-to-plan, stress-free party that features time in the Museum, unique and fun activities for party guests, and more!
- Join in as we celebrate Mister Rogers and American Education Week!
- Join us for interactive art projects at our Pop-Up Art Stations and join in science games, experiments, and projects at our interactive STEM Stations! Learn about science as you make a hoop glider, sound sandwich, and more! Create quick and portable art activities designed to encourage children to explore different media on the go in Pop-Up Art! Pop Up Art & STEM Stations are often offered on Fridays and Saturdays in the Museum for families to enjoy.
In addition to all the fun and learning to enjoy this fall at Port Discovery, please keep our new hours for fall in mind. In September, Port Discovery will be open Wednesdays from 10 AM – 1 PM, Thursdays and Fridays from 10 AM – 4 PM, Saturdays from 10 AM – 5PM and Sundays from Noon – 5PM. Port Discovery will be open for select public school holidays including over Winter Break, on New Year’s Day, and on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
We look forward to seeing you in the Museum for play, learning and lots of memorable adventures soon!