Since 1969, the month of March has been designated as Youth Art Month - a month to highlight the importance of visual art education and creative expression within kiddos!
Curious how you can celebrate Youth Art Month with your kiddos? Check out some fun & simple ideas below!
1. Turn Friday or Saturday Nights into Craft Night during March
Swap out movie nights in March for a weekly craft night! (Or, craft while watching a movie!) Another great thing about Youth Art Month? You can celebrate by creating crafts of all kinds - festive, colorful, or unique! Check out a few simple craft ideas the entire family would love:
- Paper Plate Monsters - simple supplies and let everyone’s creativity run wild!
- Popsicle Stick Crafts - an oldie but goodie. Who doesn’t love popsicle stick crafts?! Check out this massive list of 35 Popsicle Stick Crafts for some new ideas!
- DIY Stress Balls - kiddos can use it while virtual learning, and parents will love it when it’s an hour past bedtime and kiddos are still up!
P.s. March 31st is National Crayon Day!
2. Add Books About Art, Color & Creative Expression to your at-home Library
Another way to get your kiddo excited about art is by reading about art! Add a few new stories to your at-home library that celebrate artistic expression and the world of art! Here are a few suggestions:
- “The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse” by Eric Carle (Ages 1-3)
- “Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors” by Keith Baker (Ages 2-4)
- “Bear Sees Colors” by Karma Wilson (Ages 3-7)
- “Monsters Love Colors” by Mike Austin (Ages 4-8)
3. Join Port Discovery for FREE Virtual Workshops & Performances as part of Youth Art Month Celebrations!
All March long, Port Discovery is hosting virtual workshops dedicated to Youth Art Month, leading up to Puppet Powered Weekend to celebrate World Puppetry Day on March 21st!
Enjoy puppet-making workshops, performances from Silly Goose & Val, a STEP Dance workshop hosted by Port Discovery’s Artist in Residence, and more! Let us handle all the work - just pre-register via our website and join with your family via Zoom during the time(s) you’ve selected! You’ll receive an email with the official Zoom link and access information.
Featured Artists Include:
- Kelsey Joyce
- Jess Rassp
- Val Smalkin
- Tatiana Ford
- Gen Fraser
These workshops and programs are supported in part by the Maryland State Arts Council (msac.org)
However you decide to celebrate Youth Art Month, we hope you enjoy spending time together while getting creative!