Open now! Fridays - Sundays
Hours: Fridays: 10 AM – 4PM, Saturdays: 10 AM – 5 PM, Sundays: Noon – 5 PM
Special Hours: Open Monday, January 21 from 10 AM – 5 PM for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Admission is free for members and children under two. Visitors enter for $5 per person.
Tickets must be purchased in person.
Design and make a mini-robot, build with giant life-sized building blocks, launch rockets towards the moon, create your own theatrical play and more in The Construction Zone in the Atrium at Port Discovery sponsored by M&T Bank!
- Design! Can a robot make real art? Find out when you design and build a mini-robot in the Prototype & Play area. Be an architect as you draft and draw plans for a new playground, building, and more with spirographs and lightboxes. Build and draw at building and art stations.
- Build! It’s a box...it’s a plane...it’s a castle! When you add imagination to giant, life-sized blocks, there’s no limit to what you can create. As you build, dress up using hats, goggles, puppets, and more – and work together to create a scene straight out of your dreams.
- Launch! 3...2...1...Blastoff! Launch a rocket towards a mini-moon and explore how physics helps things fly (and land). Plus, learn about space in a hands-on Sun, Earth, Universe mini-exhibit.
- Act! Take 10! Dress up, dance, sing, act – and take center stage in the Black Box Theater! Plus enjoy interactive theater performances including puppets, silly scientists, singers, dancers and other family-friendly performers.
- Move! Jump around and play games in our Game Zone. Crawl and toddle around The Oasis. Enjoy drop-in performances and programs that are playful and educational.
The Construction Zone will be open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Admission will be $5 per person for general admission visitors. Members and children under two will enter for free. Tickets for The Construction Zone must be purchased in person. Hours for the month of January are: Fridays – 10 AM – 4 PM, Saturdays – 10 AM – 5 PM, Sundays – Noon – 5 PM. The Construction Zone will also be open on Monday, January 21 from 10 AM – 5 PM for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. The Construction Zone is located in the Atrium at Port Discovery Children’s Museum (directly next door to the main Museum).
The Construction Zone is one of the interactive, educational activities children and families can enjoy while Port Discovery constructs two new immersive exhibits, the Port Exhibit and the SkyClimber, and works on Museum improvements including an efficient new lobby, new nursing area, more family seating areas, a renovated lunchroom and updated restrooms. The new exhibits and improvements are designed to improve the visitor experience and fuel play and learning for future generations of children. Presenting sponsor: M&T Bank. Supported in part by W.R. Grace