Here We Grow! Exhibit to be Featured in the 137th My Maryland State Fair Innovation Station
Baltimore, MD – Port Discovery Children’s Museum’s agricultural-themed Here We Grow! Exhibit will be on display in the Innovation Station at The Maryland State Fair beginning Friday, August 24 through Monday, September 3. Designed to teach children about agriculture through fun, playful activities, the exhibit encourages children to climb aboard a wooden tractor, build push-pull tools based on actual farm tools, and more.
As part of the exhibition, Port Discovery Children’s Museum educators will offer several hands-on programs in the Innovation Station at the Maryland State Fair Farm & Garden Building. Children can extract and examine DNA from wheat germ in a fun, hands-on Wheat Germ DNA session that promotes STEM learning. Touch, identify and discover Maryland agriculture in a fun sensory-based Touch and Discovery Station on the following dates:
- Saturday, August 25, 1 PM – 3 PM.
- Sunday, August 26, 1 PM – 3 PM.
- Saturday, September 1, 1 PM – 3 PM.
- September 2, 1 PM – 3 PM.
In the exhibit, children can:
- Climb aboard a wooden play tractor.
- Build push-pull tools based on actual farm tools!
- Match Maryland agricultural goods to the counties that prominently produce them in a fun “corn-hole” toss game.
- Push a button to watch a video where they “meet” a local farmer, quilter and veterinarian and hear their stories.
- Spin an hourglass full of grains to learn about how many hours it takes to harvest an acre of food.
- Role play in a pretend farmers market and get hands-on as they learn how bees build homes and pollinate plants.
- Learn about international agriculture festivals: Jewish Festival of Sukkot, the Korean Festival of Chuseok, and the Nigerian Igbo Tribe’s Festival of Iwa Ji Ofu through animated activities.
- Sit within a silo containing an agriculture-themed library for children, parents, and educators.
- Discover the top agricultural exports from Maryland – and learn remarkable facts about each product with interactive flip panels.
“We are thrilled to bring Port Discovery’s Here We Grow! exhibit to the Maryland State Fair,” said Nora Thompson, Director of Education at Port Discovery Children’s Museum. “Children and families who explore this exhibit will have fun, playful opportunities to explore the important world of agriculture, and learn about where there food comes from, how it is produced, and the hard-working farmers of Maryland.”
“I think that the Port Discovery partnership with the Maryland State Fair is a perfect fit,” said Maryland State Fair Director of Agriculture Programs Robert Fogle. “The Here We Grow! exhibit will bring a new interactive component with a strong agricultural emphasis.”
The Here We Grow! exhibit was developed by Port Discovery with funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services under grant award number MA-10-13-0567-13, the Maryland Grain Producers Utilization Board, the Wright Family Foundation, the Maryland Soybean Board, the Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation, and other generous agricultural partners. Additional funding for Here We Grow travel has been provided by the Maryland Soybean Board, Mid-Atlantic Dairy Association, Allied Milk Producers, and Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation, Inc.
The Here We Grow! exhibit, along with a science-themed NANO exhibit, are currently available for organizations to host at their location! These interactive mini-exhibitions from Port Discovery provide affordable, flexible and interactive educational exhibit options that engage visitors in playful learning about science, agriculture and other topics. Contact Port Discovery Children’s Museum for information on hosting a mini-exhibition at your location.
Currently celebrating its 20th year of providing meaningful and purposeful play opportunities to children and families, Port Discovery Children’s Museum has served more than five million children and families since opening in 1998 and is ranked among the Top 10 Children’s Museums in the United States by Fodor’s Travel, Forbes and Parents Magazine. Port Discovery Children’s Museum educates children and inspires life-long curiosity. Our play-to-learn philosophy opens the door for children to discover and explore the world around them and to lead smarter, healthier, more engaged lives. The Museum, a 501(c)(3) non-profit institution, offers three floors of educational, interactive exhibits and programs.
To learn more, visit www.portdiscovery.org.
# # #