Port Discovery Children’s Museum has opened a limited-time, interactive Construction Zone play experience for children and families to explore while construction on new exhibits and Museum improvements is underway.
What's there to see and do?
In The Construction Zone in the Atrium at Port Discovery sponsored by M&T Bank, little learners ages birth to 8 are encouraged to explore the art, science and fun of construction as they make mini-robots, build with giant life-sized building blocks, launch rockets towards the moon, and create theatrical plays. Check out a walk-through video of The Construction Zone! Inside, Visitors can:
- Design! Can a robot make real art? Find out when you design and build a mini-robot in the Prototype & Play area. Be an architect as you draft and draw plans for a new playground, building, and more with spirographs and lightboxes. Build and draw at building and art stations.
- Build! It’s a box...it’s a plane...it’s a castle! When you add imagination to giant, life-sized blocks, there’s no limit to what you can create. As you build, dress up using hats, goggles, puppets, and more – and work together to create a scene straight out of your dreams.
- Launch! 3...2...1...Blastoff! Launch a rocket towards a mini-moon and explore how physics helps things fly (and land). Plus, learn about space in a hands-on Sun, Earth, Universe mini-exhibit.
- Act! Take 10! Dress up, dance, sing, act – and take center stage in the Black Box Theater! Plus enjoy interactive theater performances including puppets, silly scientists, singers, dancers and other family-friendly performers.
- Move! Infants, toddlers and older children can jump around and play games in our Game Zone. Crawl and toddle around The Oasis. Enjoy drop-in performances and programs that are playful and educational.
Where is it located?
The Construction Zone is located in the Atrium at Port Discovery Children’s Museum (directly next door to the main Museum). The address is 35 Market Pl., Baltimore MD 21204.
When is it open?
Dates and hours of operation are subject to change. Please check our Tickets & Hours webpage for the most up-to-date information.
Things to Know:
- Although Port Discovery remains open, visitors cannot access the main Museum while construction is underway.
- The Construction Zone is in a space adjacent to the Main Museum. Because space for play and learning is reduced, visitor capacity is limited. We recommend always checking ahead before visiting to ensure The Construction Zone is open. Days and hours of operation are available on our Tickets & Hours webpage.
- Admission will be $5 per person for general admission visitors. Members and children under two will enter for free. Tickets for The Construction Zone must be purchased in person.
The Construction Zone is one of the interactive, educational activities children and families can enjoy while Port Discovery constructs two new immersive exhibits, the Port Exhibit and the SkyClimber, and works on Museum improvements including an efficient new lobby, new nursing area, more family seating areas, a renovated lunchroom and updated restrooms. The new exhibits and improvements are designed to improve the visitor experience and fuel play and learning for future generations of children.
The Construction Zone is open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Admission is $5 per person for general admission visitors. Members and children under two enter for free. Operating hours for the month of March are: Fridays – 1 PM – 4 PM, Saturdays – 10 AM – 5 PM, Sundays – Noon – 5 PM. The Construction Zone is located in the Atrium at Port Discovery Children’s Museum (directly next door to the main Museum).