Preview exhibits planned as part of Port Discovery’s $10.5 Million Capital Campaign
New exhibits are slated to open next year at Port Discovery Children’s Museum, and children and families can explore what’s to come in the Museum’s newly opened Previews, Pop-Ups and Prototypes space.
Previews, Pop-Ups and Prototypes will give children and families sneak peeks of new permanent exhibits planned for Port Discovery. The space will also provide opportunities for visitors to get involved in the development process for new exhibits and explore programs to come at the Museum.
will give children and families sneak peeks of new permanent exhibits planned for Port Discovery. The space will also provide opportunities for visitors to get involved in the development process for new exhibits and explore programs to come at the Museum.
Now open, Previews, Pop-Ups and Prototypes features looks at two new permanent exhibits planned to open in 2019:
- Port Exhibit: Once Port Discovery’s Capital Campaign reaches its $10.5 million objective, the Museum will begin construction on a new Port exhibit, which will feature an interactive three-story ship where children can role-play as the ship’s captain, sailors, navigators and engineers, explore the seas, discover how products come here from around the world, and learn math, science, social and problem solving skills. In Previews, Pop-Ups and Prototypes, children will get a look at what this expansive and interactive exhibit will include, while having a chance to load containers onto the cargo ship and find out what can happen when containers fall off a ship in the Ducks Overboard activity.
- SkyClimber Exhibit: When Port Discovery wraps up its Capital Campaign, the Museum will replace their existing three-story urban treeclimber, KidWorks, with a new interactive and more visitor-friendly climber that encourages kids to get active, use problem-solving skills and take risks. In Previews, Pop-Ups and Prototypes children will load balls into air-filled tubes and see how they – like kids – can go up and make their way back down. Children and families will also be challenged to help the Museum come up with imaginative names for their new climber.
Previews, Pop-Ups and Prototypes is located on the third floor of Port Discovery Children’s Museum, and is open each day the Museum is open. Entry to the exhibit is included in regular admission into the Museum, which is $15.95 for individuals two and older, and free for Museum Members and children younger than two.
About Port Discovery Children’s Museum’s Capital Campaign
co-chaired by Doug Becker and John Shmerler, will bring new state-of-the-art exhibits to the Museum which are based on the latest in educational research. The new exhibits will become the dynamic new centerpiece of Port Discovery, bringing the children and families of Baltimore and beyond exciting new opportunities for play-based learning that fuel imaginations for generations to come. Planned exhibits include:
- A new Port Exhibit, featuring an interactive ship where children can role-play as the ship’s captain, sailors, navigators and engineers, explore the seas, discover how products come here from around the world, and learn math, science, social, and problem solving skills.
- A new SkyClimber Exhibit (to replace the current KidWorks exhibit) that will encourage children to get active, use problem-solving skills and take risks in a safe environment.
The SkyClimber and Port Exhibit are anticipated to open at Port Discovery in 2019.
Additional new exhibits and amenities will be introduced to Port Discovery over the next several years as part of future fundraising efforts, enabling the Museum to continue offering the most unique, innovative informal learning experiences for children from birth to ten years of age. Future exhibits and improvements include:
- New Space, Art and Nature Exhibits (planned for construction beginning in 2020).
- A State-of-the-Art Lobby
- Upgraded Bathrooms
- New Family Seating Areas
- New Nursing Areas
About Port Discovery Children’s Museum
As the premier children’s museum in the mid-Atlantic, Port Discovery Children’s Museum has served more than five million children and families since opening in 1998 and is ranked among the Top 10 Children’s Museums in the United States by Fodor’s Travel, Forbes and Parents Magazine. Port Discovery Children’s Museum educates children and inspires life-long curiosity. Our play-to-learn philosophy opens the door for children to discover and explore the world around them and to lead smarter, healthier, more engaged lives. The Museum, a 501(c)(3) non-profit institution, offers 3 floors of educational, interactive exhibits and programs. To learn more, visit www.portdiscovery.org.
Programs and exhibits at Port Discovery are made possible in part by the Citizens of Baltimore County and by the Howard County Arts Council through a grant from Howard County Government.