Did you know that early literacy starts with actions as basic as knowing how to hold a book?
There are so many fun ways that you can help develop the skills for your rising readers (For more information on the different skill areas and benefits, check out our Early Literacy Guiding Tips Blogs!) For many starting to read and the ones showing them how, books with well-known characters can be very appealing. And two special characters are going to share how they play in the fun-filled world of words, letters, and language…
Reader Pan: Yep! We’ll take it from here. Hi Ho! I’m Reader Pan!
- Tinker Spell: And I’m Tinker Spell! T-I-N-K-E-R. S-P-E-L-L. We just flew in from Letter Neverland and landed on Port Discovery’s page.
Reader Pan: I see Port Discovery’s all about play, huh? Well, Tink and I love to play games!
- Tinker Spell: Games are wonderful for boys, girls, and the young at H-E-A-R-T. They’re a lot of fun and can help you learn too!
Reader Pan: Wanna play a game right now?!
- Tinker Spell: You’d actually be helping us out A-L-O-T. Captain Hook took a book that belongs to Reader Pan. It’s his personal treasure.
Reader Pan: Ha! I already know where those pirates hid it. I just…uh…wanna see if these readers all know where it is.
- Tinker Spell: Whatever you say Pan. But playing this game will reveal where the pirates stashed Reader Pan’s treasure! Here’s what you’ll have to do. There will be W-O-R-D-S that have to be unscrambled.
Reader Pan: That means the letters are all mixed together in the wrong order. So, you might read these letters that say: TOPR. That’s not a real word. But when you separate the letters out, see if you can make them into a real word!
- Tinker Spell: P-O-R-T.
Reader Pan: Port! You got it!
- Tinker Spell: Once you unscramble each word, you’ll see that there will always be one letter inside a circle. There will be a number underneath each circle. Put each letter in order from one to ten and you’ll get the A-N-S-W-E-R!
Reader Pan: And if you like a challenge, like me, there is a harder version that you can play. But both versions will give the same answer.
- Tinker Spell: You can always try B-O-T-H if you want.
Reader Pan: Yep! Good luck and have fun!
- Tinker Spell: Y-O-U can do it!
We hope our at-home play ideas have been helpful to you! If you are able, please support Port Discovery Children’s Museum by renewing your membership, purchasing a gift membership for someone, or making a contribution of financial support.
Port Discovery's At Home Play Tips & Resources is generously sponsored by M&T Bank!