Noontime New Year: Wish Upon A Star
Countdown to New Years at Noon at this family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebration!
When: Tuesday, December 31 from 10 AM – 5 PM (Opening at 9:30 AM for Port Discovery Members). Please note: The Harbor Park Garage located at 55 Market Place will offer Museum Guests $15 parking (with validation ticket from Musuem) from 9 AM - 6PM.
- All Day: Make party poppers and noisemakers in the StudioWorkshop, strike a pose in the New Year’s Photo Corner, play dress up, and tell the world about your wishes for 2020 on our special wishing trees!
- 11:30 AM – Wishing Star Circus Show - This New Year’s Eve, discover the empowering influence of wishes, and make wishes of your own on a brand new wishing star! Join Mr. Jupiter, DJ Jampire, and Cory to help Hazel believe again in the power of wishes before the clock strikes noon!
- Noon: - Countdown to New Year’s Eve! Help us countdown to 2020 with a bedtime friendly and very festive countdown, featuring a balloon drop, lots of colorful confetti, and a juice and cookies toast!
- 12:15 – 2:00 PM: Take part in our star-themed circus spectacular, where you can try your hand at tightrope walking, make your way through our “Rings of Sun Fire” course, shoot stars during shooting star archery, and explore acrobat blocks and more!
- 12:30 PM & 1:30 PM: Cold Science with Eric Energy - What's cooler than science? Cold Science! Join Eric Energy with his coolest performance yet! Explore the properties of dry ice and extreme cold with this interactive, sciencetacular performance!
- 2:30 PM & 3:15 PM Pam the Kindersinger - Enjoy interactive fun with original and familiar songs, dancing, storytelling and lots of humor with The Kindersinger! Dance to the Cooped Up Crazies, go on a sleigh ride (complete with sleigh bells!), dance within a giant igloo to the Icicle Ball and more!
Admission is $17.95 for individuals one and up. Members and children under one enter for free. This is a popular event and is subject to long lines, crowds and selling out. Consider purchasing tickets online ahead of your visit to guarantee entry – and to reduce waiting time. Arrive early, and dress appropriately for the weather as you may experience lines that are longer than usual. If you don’t make it into the Museum for the countdown, we’ll still have fun activities and special performances happening throughout the rest of the day!
FAQ & Event Information for Noontime New Year: Wish Upon A Star
Port Discovery encourages guests to park in the Harbor Park Garage, 55 Market Place, Baltimore, MD 21202. Harbor Park Garage is located directly next door to Port Discovery Children’s Museum at the corner of Lombard Street and Market Place.
The Harbor Park Garage will offer $15 parking (with validation from Museum) for Port Discovery guests from 9 AM - 6PM Tuesday, December 31.
Beginning at 11:30AM in The Atrium at Port Discovery is the Wishing Star Circus Show! This New Year’s Eve, discover the empowering influence of wishes, and make wishes of your own on a brand new wishing star. Join Mr. Jupiter, DJ Jampire, and Cory to help Hazel believe again in the power of wishes before the clock strikes noon!
- Red Carpet Welcome Area - Flash a smile for the cameras - you're walking down the red carpet! Enjoy the Red Carpet Experience as you enter Port Discovery on Noon Time New Year - don't forget to stop for photos and let the paparzzi know of your biggest wishes for 2020!
- Photo Op Corner (All Day) - Get ready to strike a pose! Grab some fun props and pose for festive photos you'll treasure for years to come at our Photo Op Corner!
- Wishing "Trees" (All Day) - Spread your wishes for 2020 all around the Museum among our Wishing Trees!
- You Be The Star Dress Up (10AM - 11:30AM & 2:30PM - 5:00PM) - Dress up as your wildest wishes! Fairy princess? A soaring eagle? A strawberry? Stop by and enjoy pretend play during You Be The Star Dress Up that all ages will enjoy!
- Wishing Carriage Rides (Randomly in Afternoon) - Keep your eyes and ears open for the Wishing Carriage Rides! Enjoy a carriage ride throughout the Museum as you spread your wishes for 2020 with friends old and new!
What's a New Year Countdown without fun sound-makers to rev up the excitement?! Get creative and stop in the StudioWorkshop - that's being transformed into the Party Favor Factory - to make-and-take your very own Party Poppers and Noisemakers to use during our Noontime New Year countdown!
Galaxy Tightrope - We all know tightrope walking is a staple of circus acts, but have you ever tried it yourself?! Put your balancing skills to the test and “try your leg” at taking a tightrope stroll through the stars at the Galaxy Tightrope.
Nebula Nursery - Fun Fact: Nebulas are known as 'star nurseries,' and in this case, a special, interactive corner specifically designed for our youngest guests! Step into this starry space filled with plushy friends, books, toys and puzzles.
Reach for the Stars Acrobat Blocks - If you can dream it, you can build it! Just like circus acrobats form human pyramids with their bodies, you can use your engineering skills to construct whatever you can dream up with these special acrobat-shaped blocks
Rings of Sun Fire - Inspired by performances that jump through flamming hoops at the circus, children will make their way through a course of various geometric shape while completeing challenges. Rings of Sun Fire promotes body awareness and enhances gross motor skills like flexibility, motor control and more!
Shooting Star Archery - Enjoy a new type of 'shooting stars'! Children and adults alike are invited to shoot star arrows onto special outer space targets during Shooting Star Archery.
Gregory May - Wow-ing guests as Mr. Jupiter, the ten-foot-tall ringleader of the Wishing Star Circus Countdown Show is former Ringling Bros. performer, Gregory May! Following the Noontime Countdown, you'll be able to spot Mr. Jupiter roaming the Museum while he juggles, dances and jokes with guests! Visit circusgreg.com for more information on Gregory himself and other available performance options.
Cold Science with Eric Energy (12:30PM & 1:30PM) - What's cooler than science? Cold Science! Join Eric Energy with his coolest performance yet! Explore the properties of dry ice and extreme cold with this interactive, sciencetacular performance! Visit ericenergy.com to learn more about Eric, his team and their science entertainment programs.
Pam the Kindersinger (2:30PM & 3:15PM) - Enjoy interactive fun with original and familiar songs, dancing, storytelling and lots of humor with The Kindersinger! Dance to the Cooped Up Crazies, go on a sleigh ride (complete with sleigh bells!), dance within a giant igloo to the Icicle Ball and more!
It is up to you! There will be different types of activities happening throughout the day.
Museum Members, or those who would like to purchase a Port Discovery Membership, can take advantage of Early Entry beginning on Tuesday, December 31st at 9:30AM.
If you don’t want to miss the Countdown’s shows and Balloon Drop, or want to snag the best locations to watch, we recommend that you arrive at the Museum when we open at 10AM.
For guaranteed entry and reduced wait times, feel free to purchase tickets online at tickets.portdiscovery.org.
It is likely that there will be a line to enter the building, but please know that we will be working diligently to get all guests in to the Museum as quickly as possible if a line forms.
We encourage you to dress for the weather so that you are as comfortable as possible if a line forms.
Though members have a separate line to get their wristbands, they may have to wait in line if a high volume of Members arrive at the same time.
To reduce wait times, the Museum will open to Members or those who wish to purchase a Membership, at 9:30AM. Our staff will work diligently to get guests inside as quickly as possible if a line forms.
Yes! Parking validations will be available from Harbor Park Garage 10AM - 5PM.
The Noontime New Year countdown will begin with the Wishing Star Circus Show starting at 11:30AM located in The Atrium at Port Discovery. The countdown and balloon drop will happen promptly at 12PM Noon.
Please note: The Atrium at Port Discovery is standing room only.
Cookies and juice stations will open for guests in the Atrium immediately after the balloon drop at 12PM Noon. It will be one of each per person and offered until supplies last.
There will be specific activities and guest performances occurring after the Countdown for Museum guests to enjoy! Guests can enjoy making Party Poppers and Noise Makers in the StudioWorkshop, star-themed circus activities located in The Atrium and so much more!
For specific activity times and information, please check the Port Discovery Event Calendar.
We are fortunate to have Ms. Karen Taylor for the Countdown shows who will be doing ASL interpretation.
However, there will be speakers and loud music playing for the majority of the shows. Please inform a staff member or go to the museum’s Guest Service Station and we will assist you the best of our ability.