This Month at Port Discovery
October 2019 at Port Discovery
Learn through play at Port Discovery!
- Woohoo! BIG new exhibits are now open at Port Discovery! Plan your visit today!
- Boo! Monsters, Mystery & Magic take over Port Discovery October 18th - October 31st! Plus, if you visit the Museum in costume Oct. 18 - 31st, you can get $10 off a Membership that same day! *Restrictions Apply
- Join Port Discovery at Robinson Nature Center in Columbia for unique, nature-themed programs! Programming made possible thanks to funding from the Howard County Arts Council through a grant from Howard County Government.
- Check out limited-time discounts avialable in October 2019: October Deal Days & Spooky Savings (Oct. 18th - 31st)
First time visitor?
First time visiting Port Discovery? Yippie!
Take a peek below for some helpful tips & tricks before visiting:
Port Discovery's Newest Exhibits
Soar to new heights as you try to reach the clouds! Dare to dream – and test your courage – as you get climb your way up and around a four-story SkyClimber that takes you from underwater” up “into the clouds.” As you climb and reach new heights, you’ll build confidence and problem-solving skills while having fun with new friends.
You’ll even trigger sound effects from Mother Nature as you climb high above Port Discovery and reach for the stars. Toddlers can get in on the action, too, with a soft play area on the ground level. The SkyClimber will replace Port Discovery’s KidWorks exhibit.
Become the captain of an imaginative adventure on a massive ship! Role-play as the ship’s captain, sailors, navigators and engineers as you explore the seas, discover how products make their way around the world, and work together to move, stack and explore what’s inside shipping containers.
Operate a gantry crane, learn how to navigate a boat, and more! Plus, learn about the Port of Baltimore – and the many jobs and products that make up one of the world’s most active ports!
This project has been financed (in part) with Federal funds from the National Maritime Heritage program, administered by the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. However, the contents and opinions contained herein do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Department of the Interior, nor does the mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Department of the Interior.
This program received Federal financial assistance for preservation of historic maritime resources and for increasing public awareness and appreciation for the maritime heritage of the United States. Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, the U.S. Department of the Interior prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability or age in its federally funded assisted programs. If you believe you have been discriminated again in any program, activity, or facility as described above, or if you desire further information, please write to: Office of Equal Opportunity National Park Service 1849 C Street, NW Washington, DC 20240
The Project has been financed in part with State Funds from the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority, an instrumentality of the State of Maryland. However, Project contents or opinions do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority.
Events & Programs
The Art within eARTh: Port Discovery at Robinson Nature Center
Join Port Discovery Educators at Robinson Nature Center in Columbia this October and enjoy interactive and creative programs designed just for little learners! The Art within eARTh programs encourage children to explore and learn about the natural world through movement, art creation, theater, science, and storytelling.
Animal ARTchitects: Cobweb Canvas | Saturday, October 12 | 2:30 - 3:30PM
Using a combination of theatrical sets, string material, and art decorations, the audience will help design and test a variety of cobweb sculptures. Learn about form, patterns, basic geometry, and string art as you help create one of the most alluring artwork found within the natural world.
Animal ARTchitects: Fort Beehive | Saturday, October 26 | 2:30 - 3:30PM
Using a combination of theatrical sets, fort building equipment, and art decorations, the audience will help design, construct, and accessorize the beehive’s exterior and interior. Learn about shapes, patterns, texture, and color selection as you help create a home that’s both practical and beautiful for bees.
Programming made possible thanks to funding from the Howard County Arts Council through a grant from Howard County Government.
Monsters, Mystery & Magic Halloween Celebration
Grab Your Ghoulfriends for a Not-so-Scary Halloween Celebration!
Don your spookiest (or sparkliest!) Halloween costume and head to Port Discovery for a spook-tastic celebration!
Take part in activities including:
- Dr. Frankenstein's Monster Factory - Children and families will create their own “wearable monster hats” and friendly monster puppets. Our littlest guests will be able to join the fun by creating “blow paint monster pals.”
- Trick and Treat Theater - Enjoy Halloween-themed (and not-so-scary) theater performances that will bring Halloween fun to life!
- Mystery Fun House - Illusions, tricks and more - our Mystery Fun House activities will showcase some of the magic of Halloween!
- Monster Parades - Dress up and parade around the Museum in our fun Monster Parades.
Trick and Treat Theater Performances:
- Port Discovery’s Mystery Wing – Join Port Discovery’s guide Mysteria as you discover different kinds of ancient magic from around the world! Using social studies and science concepts to explain how ancient magicians disguised science as magic, little learners will join in the fun creating magical illusions and learning about where they originated from long ago!
- DJ Jampire’s Monster Musical Instruments – a half-hour show for children of all ages with monster-styled musical instruments, puppets and live music! Join DJ Jampire and his monster friends as they throw an interactive jam session to some classic Halloween tunes.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum student visits and programs are supported in part by the Maryland State Department of Education. Programs and exhibits at Port Discovery are made possible in part by the Citizens of Baltimore County and by the Howard County Arts Council through a grant from Howard County Government.