Program & Special Event Calendar
IMPORTANT: Construction Underway! Big New Exhibits Coming Spring 2019!
Construction is underway on new exhibits and Museum improvements that will open this spring! PLEASE NOTE: Although Port Discovery remains open, visitors cannot access the main Museum while construction is underway.
Learn about the new SkyClimber, Port Exhibit and improvements that will create an efficient new lobby, new nursing area, more family seating areas, a renovated lunchroom, and updated restrooms at www.PortDiscovery.org/Construction.
Come play & learn while we build!
Please note, although Port Discovery remains open, visitors cannot access the main Museum while construction is underway. Instead, join us to play and learn at the following special pop-up exhibits. Please note: Visitor capacity is limited at both locations.
Exhibits Open While Port Discovery is Under Construction
NOW OPEN Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays | Fridays: 10 AM – 4 PM, Saturdays: 10 AM – 5 PM, Sundays: Noon – 5 PM
Special Hours: Open on Monday, February 18 from 10 AM - 5 PM in celebration of President's Day.
Admission is free for members. Visitors enter for $5 per person. Free for children under two.
Design and make a mini-robot, build with giant life-sized building blocks, launch rockets towards the moon, create a theatrical play and more in Port Discovery’s newest hands-on experience, The Construction Zone in the Atrium at Port Discovery sponsored by M&T Bank!
- Design! Can a robot make real art? Find out when you design and build a mini-robot in the Prototype & Play area. Be an architect as you draft and draw plans for a new playground, building, and more with spirographs and lightboxes. Build and draw at building and art stations.
- Build! It’s a box...it’s a plane...it’s a castle! When you add imagination to giant blocks, there’s no limit to what you can create. As you build, dress up using hats, goggles, puppets, and more – and work together to create a scene straight out of your dreams.
- Launch! 3...2...1...Blastoff! Launch a rocket towards a mini-moon and explore how physics helps things fly (and land). Plus, learn about space in a hands-on Sun, Earth, Universe mini-exhibit.
- Act! Take 10! Dress up, dance, sing, act – and take center stage in the Black Box Theater! Plus enjoy interactive theater performances including puppets, silly scientists, singers, dancers and other family-friendly performers.
- Move! Jump around and play games in our Game Zone. Crawl and toddle around The Oasis. Enjoy drop-in performances and programs that are playful and educational.
Located in the Atrium at Port Discovery Children’s Museum (directly next door to the Main Museum), The Construction Zone will be open for a limited time and features unique opportunities for little learners ages birth to 10 to explore the art, science, and fun of construction.
The Construction Zone is one of the interactive, educational activities children and families can enjoy while Port Discovery constructs two new immersive exhibits, the Port Exhibit and the SkyClimber, and works on Museum improvements including an efficient new lobby, new nursing area, more family seating areas, a renovated lunchroom, and updated restrooms. The new exhibits and improvements are designed to improve the visitor experience and fuel play and learning for future generations of children.
Port Discovery’s Pop-Up Play Space at The Shops at Kenilworth: Open Wednesdays - Sundays
Located at The Shops at Kenilworth - 800 Kenilworth Drive, Towson, MD 21204
CURRENT HOURS: Wednesdays - Sundays | Wednesdays: 10 AM - 5 PM, Thursdays: 11 AM - 7 PM, Fridays: 11 AM - 7 PM, Saturdays: 10 AM - 5 PM, Sundays: Noon - 5 PM
Admission is free for all visitors and Port Discovery members. Please note: Visitor capacity is limited in this unique experience. Caregiver/Adult supervision is required at all times.
Spark your child’s imagination as you play and learn together at Port Discovery’s Pop-Up Play Space at The Shops at Kenilworth! Located at The Shops at Kenilworth, the Pop-Up Play Space features fun and educational programs, messy art (think paint!), and fun, hands-on building activities, as well as previews of the exciting new exhibits to come at Port Discovery Children’s Museum.
- Build: Get hands-on as you design, build and create!
- Learn: Take part in educational activities that engage children in playful learning.
- Create: Join us in the messy art area (think paint!)
Port Discovery’s Pop-Up Play Space is one of the interactive, educational activities children and families can enjoy while Port Discovery constructs two new immersive exhibits, the Port Exhibit and the SkyClimber, and works on Museum improvements including an efficient new lobby, new nursing area, more family seating areas, a renovated lunchroom, and updated restrooms. The new exhibits and improvements are designed to improve the visitor experience and fuel play and learning for future generations of children.
Discover and learn through exciting educational programs and special events!
Whether you have an infant, toddler, kindergartner or elementary school student, you’ll find educational, playful and memorable drop-in programs and special events happening throughout the weekday and weekends at Port Discovery.
Programs and exhibits at Port Discovery are made possible in part by the Citizens of Baltimore County and by the Howard County Arts Council through a grant from Howard County Government.