Visitor Guidelines & Code of Conduct
Port Discovery is Open for Play!
Port Discovery's Code of Conduct & Guest Expectations
It takes all of us to create a safe, smart, and magical place to play and learn! To ensure all visitors have a great and safe experience, we expect our staff, volunteers, visitors, and members to act responsibly and be considerate of others as we share this space. If you need assistance or see something odd, please let a Museum Experience Associate (staff in purple shirts) know how we can help. Thank you for doing your part to celebrate our community's diversity and provide a safe environment of inclusion and respect, where all children and the adults in their lives can interact, play, and learn!
Your responsibilities as a guest include:
Health & Safety guidelines:
Sick Visitor Policy: Port Discovery Children’s Museum works to provide a safe and healthy environment for all guests. As part of our effort to create this environment, we ask staff and guests to avoid visiting if you or anyone in your party are sick, showing signs of illness, have recently been exposed to someone with COVID-19 like symptoms, or have recently received a positive COVID-19 test result. Upon purchasing or reserving tickets, guests will be required to sign waivers regarding your responsibilities as a visitor, and regarding what the Museum is doing to keep you safe. Upon entry, all guests will be required to complete a health questionnaire. Staff and Museum vendors are also required to complete health screenings before entering the Museum. Please review our Sick Policy.
Face Coverings Required for All Visitors 2+, regardless of vaccination status. In accordance with updates to the Baltimore City's mask mandates, beginning Monday, August 9, all visitors ages two and older will be required to wear a mask when visiting Port Discovery, regardless of vaccination status. Please remember that masks and face coverings must cover the nose and mouth, be secured with ties or ear loops and fit snugly against the face, and must be worn throughout your visit to the Museum. You may temporarily remove your mask if you visit the Pier to have a drink or snack. If you have any questions about this updated mask requirement, please contact us at 410.727.8120.
Stay Within Your Bubble. Practice safe physical distancing. We ask that guests please stay within their bubble - also known as the group of people you are visiting with - and maintain a distance of at least 6 feet away from staff members and those not within your party. Please also observe exhibit capacity signage. Floor markers and reminder signage will be found in all spaces.
Keeping it Clean: We have installed hand sanitizer stations throughout the Museum, including upon entry to the Museum and upon entry/exit to each exhibit. Guests are required to sanitize their hands when entering the Museum, and when entering/exiting each exhibit space. We also ask guests to wash their hands frequently during their visit. Please also use the dirty toy bins throughout the Museum to place dirtied toys.
Go with the Flow: Please follow directional signage and instructions from staff. Limit elevator usage to one family/group at a time, follow one-way signage for entry, exit, Museum stairs, and main floors.
- Snacks and drinks other than water are only allowed in The Pier (located on the first floor). Tables and chairs will be arranged to allow safe physical distancing. Please share tables with those in your bubble only. Use the provided hand wipes to wipe down surfaces before and after use. Masks can be temporarily removed while seated and snacking or enjoying beverages only.
- COVID-19 Vaccinations: Even if you or a family member have received a COVID-19 vaccination, you must continue to follow all of Port Discovery's safety measures.
See something odd? Tell us! Help us ensure you have a great visit. Tell us if you encounter something that needs cleaning up, isn’t working properly, or seems odd. We’re here to help! Comment cards are also available.
We ask everyone to adhere to the following guidelines for playing and learning in the Museum
- Please, play gently! We encourage visitors to explore, to get hands-on, and to figure out how things work. As you play, keep safety and other visitors in mind. Don’t yank, break or draw on furniture or displays, or climb in unsafe areas. Help us keep the Museum in great shape for the visitors - and years - to come!
- Adult supervision of all children is required. As you supervise your children, we encourage you to get in on the fun! After all, we’re all kids at heart. Play together, ask your children questions, encourage them, and enjoy making memories together.
- Shoes required everywhere in the Museum except when using the SkyClimber.
- If it’s valuable to you, don’t leave it unattended. The Museum is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Lockers are available in The Pier.
- Tot Trails and Chessie’s Grotto are special places for our youngest visitors. Our youngest guests have priority in these spaces. Please supervise older children and ensure they show respect for little ones. Do not allow older children to engage in rowdy play, running or roughhousing.
- See something odd? Tell us! Help us ensure you have a great visit. Tell us if you encounter something that needs cleaning up, isn’t working properly, or seems odd. We’re here to help! Comment cards are also available.