Careers & Employment
Join us! We're a team of dreamers committed to providing the best visitor experience possible.
Port Discovery Children's Museum is an exciting place to work with a team of professionals who are creative, driven and willing to go the extra mile to help our future leaders reach their dreams and aspirations.
Port Discovery Children's Museum is an interactive museum dedicated to serving kids and families. We create and maintain an environment that values the collaborative-team process and fosters open communication.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum offers a generous benefits package in addition to providing you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Port Discovery Children's Museum is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels, regardless of race, religion, gender, national origin or disability.
Birthday Party Host
The Birthday Party Host delivers an exciting, creative, and engaging birthday party experience. The Host should ensure smiles, laughter, excitement and positive emotions resulting in meaningful memories for all. This Host is also responsible for providing excellent and responsive service to all party guests and support the museum’s mission of playful learning and discovery through meaningful interactions. The ideal candidate will have at least one year of experience working with children ages 1 to 10 and excellent communication skills.
This is a part time position offering approximately 12-16 hours per week, which requires availability on Saturdays AND Sundays. We can offer a convenient schedule for college students!
To see the full position details and to apply, please visit: http://bit.ly/2E2KDnd.
Box Office Associate
Entry level and part-time position on our Box Office team. Position offers about 15-20 hours per week and requires availability on Saturdays AND Sundays, as well as one week-day.
The Box Office Associate will serve as the first point of contact for all guests who visit the museum and is responsible for upholding the highest degree of customer service. We are looking for someone that is outgoing and likes interacting with people. He/she will carry out all daily operations of the box office. Additional responsibilities will include soliciting and managing group sales via the phone. The successful candidate must have the ability to anticipate and respond quickly and effectively and to enact sound judgment in respect to guest needs, questions, and expectations.
To see the full position details and to apply, please visit: http://bit.ly/2BpAyje
Museum Experience Associate
As a vital part of the Guest Services Department and Port Discovery team, Museum Experience Associates are responsible for providing guests with an excellent, memorable experience, stellar customer service, and supporting the Museum’s educational philosophy. As a member of our team, you’ll support playful learning and discovery through meaningful interaction with children and adults, ignite imaginations, and teach children through hands-on experiences.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Provide excellent experiences in Museum exhibits and public spaces by engaging and interacting with guests.
- Engage children in play through use of props, costumes and exhibit components.
- Facilitate or assist with assigned programming, following Museum program procedures and expectations.
- Perform for special audiences such as youth school groups, camp groups, and birthday parties with interactive programs developed by the museum.
- Ensure exhibits are ready for guest use.
- Maintain a safe environment.
- Monitor exhibits and public spaces for safety concerns, including hazardous conditions and suspicious or unsafe guest behavior.
- Attend and participate in daily opening meetings, department meetings, trainings and other meetings as scheduled.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
The ideal candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma required.
- One year customer service experience required.
- One year working or volunteering with children in an educational, recreational or theatrical setting a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with adults and children.
- Early childhood experience and/or art or theatre background ideal.
- Skill in interpersonal communication.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and present information effectively to museum guests.
- Ability to work a flexible, variable schedule, including some holidays, evening and weekend days.
- Ability to speak clearly and effectively in crowded settings.
This is an entry-level position, with a starting rate of $9.50 per hour. The position offers up to 29 hours per week. We can offer a convenient schedule for college students and shifts typically correspond to Museum operating hours, so would wrap up by 5:00 or 5:30 pm.
Candidates must be 18 years of age, pass a background check before hire, and be available to work a flexible schedule including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
If you are interested and believe you are qualified for this position, then please submit your resume, cover letter & salary requirements: http://bit.ly/2zJHuWr
Entry level and part time positions currently available in our Housekeeping team. Positions offers up to 29 hours per week and we can offer a convenient schedule for college students. Candidates must be 18 years of age, pass a background check before hire, and be available to work a flexible schedule including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
The Housekeeping Associate is responsible for the cleanliness, upkeep, and light maintenance of the museum facility and grounds. The objective is to provide a safe, clean, and comfortable museum environment for guests and employees. The Associate will clean the museum by vacuuming, dusting, mopping floors, and removing trash throughout the facility. Additional responsibilities include setting up for overnight programs, catered events, birthday parties, Board meetings and other events. The successful candidate will have good communication skills and a willingness to learn.
To see full position details and to apply, please visit: http://bit.ly/2Dk6llE
VP of Education and Learning Innovation
We are looking for a dynamic and visionary professional with strong leadership and excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to help advance the Museum as a statewide and national leader in the field of informal learning, children’s museums, and early childhood education and to expand Port Discovery’s commitment to fostering high-engagement/high-impact interactions for children and families.
This VP of Education and Learning Innovation will foster a culture of learning in the Museum that emphasizes interdisciplinary dialogue, imaginative use of learning and evaluation methods, creativity, and risk-taking. This person will be advocate for how the power of play can be used for authentic, developmentally appropriate transformative learning opportunities.
The Vice President shapes engagement for the Museum through the creation and evaluation of play-based learning programming for children within our permanent and traveling Museum exhibits as well as learning environments in non-Museum locations; educational programs onsite, in schools and in the community, and informs evaluation strategies. This position manages a talented group of full time and part-time professional employees. In addition, the Vice President will act collaboratively across departments in the design of interactive educational experiences that advance Port Discovery’s mission. The relationship between the organization’s Education department and the Guest Services team is particularly important to ensure that appropriate programs that are both dynamic and relevant in content are in place to drive attendance and engagement.
Requirements / Qualifications:
- Relevant Graduate (or Post Graduate) Degree required.
- Extensive knowledge in early childhood development, family engagement, community and informal education for children.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in positions of growing leadership scope.
- Successful experience in leading cross-disciplinary teams in the development of strategies and projects and in communicating educational program value to stakeholders, media and the public.
- Minimum of five years strategic planning experience, including proven success in planning and developing new educational initiatives.
- Five plus years of experience leading people and teams.
- Experience managing complex projects involving the direct supervision and/or collaboration of multiple departments.
- Demonstrated ability to take a new educational program from concept to implementation.
- Active knowledge of community and educational organizations and initiatives – locally in Baltimore, statewide and nationally required.
- Comprehension and experience with formative and summative program evaluation and management required.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Computer proficiency with intermediate abilities using MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Expert interpersonal skills.
To see the full position details and to apply, please visit: http://bit.ly/2BGZ6D1