On November 28, 2023, Port Discovery is participating in GivingTuesday. This is the day when activated citizens across the nation come together to tap into the power of human connection and strengthen our communities – we hope you are one of them! Port Discovery’s goal for GivingTuesday is to raise $10,000, and thanks to the generous matching donation from The Kahlert Foundation, we know we can get there! As we lead up to GivingTuesday and on the day-of, follow Port Discovery’s social media channels to follow the fun and progress of our campaign.
How to Participate
In preparation for November 28, here’s what you can do:
- Mark your calendar and follow Port Discovery on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Give. Now or on November 28, click here to give. You can also support Port Discovery by volunteering or visiting the museum!
- Spread the word. Encourage your friends and family to join you in creating real impact on November 28 by sharing what our mission means to you and why you support our organization (here are some ideas). Make sure to use hashtag #GivingTuesday and tag us so we can share
What Your Donation Will Support
By donating to Port Discovery, you will help us continue our work as a nonprofit which is driven by the vision to foster joy, connections, laughter, and learning through purposeful play. This year, we are focusing our giving campaign on three core access programs.
Sensory Friendly Days
Port Discovery strives to be an inclusive and accessible space that celebrates neurodiversity and welcomes people of all needs and abilities. We offer Sensory Friendly Mornings which provide families with a quieter Museum experience with lowered lighting and music and capacity. Access & Inclusion Afternoons are dedicated times for our hospital and health partners to bring their family clients for a visit with a modified environment for play and learning. And at all times, Port Discovery has a fully stocked Sensory Cart which allows any guests who come through our doors access to tools that support their individual needs for the day.
- $100 donation allows one family of four to visit for Sensory Friendly Mornings for free
- $500 donation allows one disability service group to visit Port Discovery for free
PlayMakers is part of Port Discovery’s commitment to be a welcoming, accessible museum for any-income family. PlayMakers provides reduced admission of $3 per person to Maryland families who present an EBT/Independence Card or WIC ID card, valid for up to five family members and available on any day the Museum is open to the general public. This flexibility gives families agency over their museum visit experience, and encourages families to return and develop museum going habits. Currently, Port Discovery allocates 10% of admissions for PlayMakers tickets, with the goal to expand ticket offering as funding allows.
- $90 donation pays for 30 PlayMaker Tickets
- $300 donation pays for 100 PlayMaker tickets
Salute the Troops
Salute the Troops is Port Discovery’s thank you commitment to our service members and veterans. This program includes free admission for service members and veterans presenting a current military ID (or their spouse or family member with valid ID); and annual USO Days, when Port Discovery invites military families for a free day of play at the Museum. USO Day is planned in partnership with the local USO offices in Virginia, Washington, D.C, and Maryland
- $100 donation supports four military personnel or veterans to visit the museum and play with their families.
- $500 donation supports five local military families to attend the next USO Day in 2024
It is with the strength and generosity of our community that we are able to continue our work, allowing as many children and families to experience the power of play as possible. Thank you all for your support, and we hope you will join us on GivingTuesday!